Sunday, February 19, 2012

West Virginia University? Why not?

Friday afternoon, sitting in my office, grading papers and my phone rings...... I see on the caller ID Morgantown, WV. I know it is the call that I have been waiting an entire month for. This is the call that is either going to offer me a position at WVU or not. The call was in my favor and they offered me a 9-month, tenure track assistant professor position! Yeah! I was thrilled! I did not accept right away because I have to negotiate a few things first..... salary, a travel stipend (moving from Oregon to West Virginia will not be cheap), some equipment and trainings as well as a teaching assistant. Ahhhhhh, it is still settling in that in 5 months I'll be moving into a career as a professor and researcher. Whoa. Guess the "real world" is just around the corner. Well, I actually think I am in the real world right now. Not much will change, I will still be teaching and researching just in a new place. I will just have my own office, research support, a salary for the first time in my life and an entire mountain of new trials to explore.

Wondering where Morgantown is??? I had to look at a map before I went there because I had no idea.

Welp, there it is. 2,610 miles from Portland, OR. Whoa.


But, if anyone knows me, they know I like adventure. This will be one exciting adventure. Don't worry though, the PNW is my home. My family is in the PNW and when it is all said and done, I know that is where I want to be. 

Mixed emotions right now: Excited, proud, nervous, anxious, relieved, curious and grateful. 

First a Coug, then a Beav, now a Mountaineer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment