Monday, February 6, 2012

Interdisciplinary research is awesome.

Today I had a meeting with Dr. Patti Watkins, a certified clinical psychologist who taught the course "Fat Studies" and teaches several courses in women's studies as well as psychology. We are working on a project together to publish in Women's Psychology Quarterly. I always enjoy meeting with her because she is so genuine and I am left feeling inspired and positively reinforced.

Her main area of study is anti-fat bias and eating disorders. I was so excited when she asked me to write an article with her to submit for publication in a scholarly journal. She also invited me to attend a conference in Portland in a few weeks.

Here is the link to the Conference titled: Rethinking Obesity: A Compassionate and Collaborative Approach to  Weight Concerns.

http://graduate.lclark.edu/live/news/10089-credn-conference-for-professionals

I am really excited to go and listen to other professionals perspectives about innovative approaches to obesity. I am hoping to gain knowledge and techniques for teaching fitness classes as well as conducting my interviews with overweight women in the future.

Aside from my meeting with Patti, today was fairly busy. I did a fitness class at the gym, then went to campus and graded mid-terms for a few hours (cannot wait to have a TA), then I read several articles for a  class I have Tuesday mornings, lectured and walked home at 5. My students were really tired today and I had very little participation- wondering if it is because of the Super Bowl yesterday...... either way it is really tough to lecture when your entire class looks like they are going to fall asleep. It is also challenging when not a single student did the required reading. How can we have a group discussion if no one does the reading? A little frustrating from my perspective but I am hopeful they will have the reading done for Wednesdays class...... We shall see!!!

Well, off to make a little dinner then snuggle with Musgy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment