Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I am in the final stages of my dissertation. The results, discussion and conclusions are complete. I just need to edit and format and it is long daunting work. It will be so nice when I am a prof and have an editor. But his is part of the process, reading and re-reading until you dream about your research. Yep, that's right. I have had a few dreams of the women that I interviewed. My major professor stated, "well, now you are ready to graduate, once you reach the brink of insanity, we know you're ready." Hahahaha, well, I have hardly had any sleep these last few night because all I can think about is finishing and making sure everything is perfect. That means reading and re-reading and triple checking one more time. I have been so fortunate to have some family and peers give me feedback.

It has also been stressful planning the move to West Virginia. Jay has decided to head to Yakima and work for a few months before coming out to WV. I will head out there after Kyle and Mirandas wedding and start school mid-August. Wowzaaa! I haven't really had time to process all that is happening because I have been so devoted to the successful completion of my degree. I am so grateful for my family and friends that are helping me take care of Mugsy and making sure I stay fed. Weird how the 'normal' things to do get subconsciously dismissed. I bet once I am all finished I will be so hungry and so sleepy :) For now, I am checking my references and formatting my documents in according with APA style. Have you ever heard of that? quick side bar: APA stands for American Psychological Association and they write manuals on how to publish in a consistent format. Basically, they write a bunch of monotonous rules about how large your font is and how to use headings and sub headings and sub-sub headings- so ridiculous but I understand the purpose.

This is an interesting point in life for me. There are so many 'irons in the fire' and I am doing my best to be strong and happy. At times it has been a challenge but all I have to do is remind myself that my family and friends love me. I have also found a great deal of comfort in this book By Robert peters.

It is about what it is like to be a Ph. D student. Aside from the acaemic help this book really showed me that I am not the only student who has ever felt frazzeled :) If anyone else you know is considering higer ed. I would highly reccomend this book- before starting. Also, if you are curious about the deeper parts of doctor land (that's what I like to call my life sometimes), I suggest giving a skim too. OK- back to editing, everything due Friday at 3pm. Wish me luck this is truely the home stretch. Love you all! xxoo

1 comment: